Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Heyri Art Village, Paju | Exotic Art Museum & Hanok Cafe (Part 2)

Saturday ~ August 8, 2015

Part 1 of 2: Heyri Art Village, Paju | Motnani & Ugly Dolls (Part 1)

The Exotic Art Museum was a bit harder to find than most of the other art galleries and museums. However, I thought that its obscure location fits the nature of the exhibition.. you know, the forbidden fantasies that have long been suppressed by conservative morals and values.

Anyway, you will see a giant poster that covers half a building outside and the entrance to the museum can be found after you pass through the gallery shop and enter the courtyard. The entrance to the museum was 8,000 Won, but I think you could get a discount for the exhibition if you go to the cafe next door first (Hanok Cafe or any other cafes for that matter).

Entrance to the Erotic Art Museum and Hanok Cafe next door

Cute collection of potted plants outside the gallery

The gallery houses different types of erotic art, from scrolls, paintings, photographs, sculptures, and pottery. On the first floor, you will find archeological finds, including paintings on scrolls, painted ceramic dishes, and sex toys from the Stone Age (although I'm pretty sure they weren't authentic). On the second floor, you will find more modern sculptures and photographs. On the third floor, more photographs and posters from the 80's and 90's. I asked the docent if I could take pictures and she said photography is permitted, so I happily snap pictures that my mom will not be proud of.

One of the more interesting pieces that I saw was a collage of photographs from the year 1910 on the first floor. At the advent of modern photography, I guess mankind still managed to get down and dirty. What a bunch of pervs our ancestors were. For the sake of keeping this blog family-friendly, as in preventing any awkward family walk-ins, I'll save the more graphic pictures from public view.

One of the more "tame" pictures out of the vivid, graphic bunch

Another piece that I liked was called "Adam's Apple-Cream," which was a computer-generated images of vaginas inside an apple. From afar, I couldn't tell that they were vajayjays, but as I got closer, the images became quite clear. I was pretty impressed at the attention to details, shot angles, and "lawn" maintenance that goes into making this masterpiece.

Adam's Apple-Cream

The dark clouds that were hovering over the village earlier turned into a massive downpour and I quickly peeked outside the exit door to see what my options were. I saw the Hanok Café next door that looked really cute and so I thought why not make a run for it. If you were wondering.. no, I didn't pack an umbrella. Another rookie traveler's mistake: not packing an umbrella for the Korean summer. The weather can be very unpredictable during the rainy season in Korea, that sunny sky can turn dark and cloudy in just seconds. The next thing you know, you might be stuck inside a room full of erotic toys and photographs. You don't want to be that person.

I mustered up the courage to get wet (that's what she said) and sprinted towards the Hanok Cafe next door. A young lady quickly opened the sliding doors to let me in and looked at me with pity. She told me to take my shoes off (of course, since it's a hanok) and took me to the seats by the window.

Massive downpour outside of the "hanok" (Korean traditional house)

Iced Pomegranate Black Tea and Patbingu (Shaved Ice Dessert with Red Bean and Mochi)

The hanok, the rain, and a dripping wet girl.. I felt like the protagonist of a Korean drama. All that was missing was a fated meeting with a male protagonist and the cliche would be complete. Except, there were only the hanok, the rain, and a dripping wet girl.

To me, that was perfect :)

Follow me on Instagram: marthacwilson
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions to Heyri Art Village: 

To get there, you need to take the line 2 subway to Hapjeong station, go out of exit 2, make a U-turn, and walk straight until you see the red bus stop for bus 2200. If you go during peak or holiday season, expect to stand in a long line and hope that you'll get a seat in the bus. Most passengers will get off 30 minutes later at the Eche Outlet Mall or the Lotte Premium Outlets. Your exit will be Gate 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment